Sunday, October 30, 2005

Worried about my soul?

X-IronPort-AV: i="3.97,265,1125892800
d=scan's08,217"; a="923897159:sNHT19952876
From: H"Howdy"
To:
Subject: been reading your blog ...
Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2005 20:34:15 -0400
X-
ELNK-AV: )

You have a riveting web log
and undoubtedly must have atypical & quiescent potential
for your intended readership.
May I suggest that you do
everything in your power to
honor your encyclopedic/omniscient
Designer/Architect as well
as your revering audience.
As soon as we acknowledge
this Supreme Designer/Architect,
Who has erected the beauteous
fabric of the universe, our minds
must necessarily be ravished with
wonder at this infinite goodness,
wisdom and power.

Please remember to never
restrict anyone's opportunities
for ascertaining uninterrupted
existence for their quintessence.

Best wishes for continued ascendancy,

Dr. Howdy


To "Howdy"
From: Betty Reid Soskin
Subject: Re: been reading your blog ...

Dear Howdy:

You are obviously unhappy with my humanism and would wish that I were able to acknowledge the God in whom you believe. You describe him/her beautifully and I might do well to pay closer attention to the "honoring of that encylopedic/omniscient Designer/Architect." Yea verily ...!

However, to do so would rob me of the richness of my own search for meaning. It might cause me to accept the notion that truth is little more than curiosity satisfied. Life has not led me there, but instead has presented me with the intelligence, the imagination, the willingness and the courage to go it alone. Such a quest is far too important to leave to others.

I may be wrong. That's the risk of being human, and I'm enough of an agnostic to feel that the God in whom you believe so fervently is capable of loving enough, is understanding enough, and forgiving enough of my inability to act on faith, alone. I suppose -- in a way -- that I've lived my life as though there were a God, and as if I've gained unwittingly by sharing in some unknown state of grace. Life has been good.

I'll stick with Darwin, Einstein, Hawking, Emerson, et al, until I have more years and fewer miracles to try to explain to myself from the standpoint of Intelligent Design. The natural world provides more than enough wonder to satisfy my spiritual needs. I'll leave the supernatural to others to ponder.

Thanks for taking the time to let me know that blogging is reaching someone besides my own family.

Sincerely,

Betty

Photo: The Pacific as seen from a bluff in Mendocino. Wondrous!

No comments: