Sunday, May 16, 2010

"The fires of September ... ."

The story behind this would probably interest you, but it suffices to say that it's unimaginably inconsiderate for the media to wait until the year 2010, when my image in HD-TV is old and wizened!  I might have been better able to use all this public attention were I still building a resume, and with enough leftover pretty to impress.  The photo that I'm holding was taken by my late husband, Mel, in our living room in Walnut Creek.  The year was 1958, and I was about 35 then, I think, and quite photogenic, right?

It's hard to remember ever being this young ... especially today when the future seems so uncertain and I'm feeling so fearful of the days that lie immediately ahead ... .
" ... deep in December it's nice to remember although you know the snow will follow,
 deep in December it's nice to remember without a hurt the heart is hollow
 deep in December it's nice to remember the fires of September that made us mellow
 deep in December our hearts should remember ... and follow."
(final stanza in the lyrics of The September Song from the score of The Fantastics.  Composer: Billy Barnes)

Photo:  Taken at my home by GirlSource staffer, Betz Burkart, at the photo shoot for the WAVE awards. (Click to enlarge.)

No comments: